Friday, October 30, 2009

Review from Fury Rocks (Holland)

Rating: 7,9/10

In the (very short) biography that accompanies this release they state that Switch Opens uses very heavy progressive rock as its basis. That does stick, just as the bit about them getting their influences from every nook and cranny available. That does and doesn’t please me one bit.

Purely because I have no idea how to classify this properly. One thing is for sure, this is metal! And very good metal at that. I do love a band that really tries to step outside the comfort zone. Especially when they make it all sound so natural, instead of the forced entries you regularly hear.

Musically Switch Opens is well built. The songs are powerful and by not giving them a smooth production and keeping them rough around the edges. The latter is emphasized by the pounding bass guitar. On top of that there is this singer who has an incredibly flexible voice that always seems to fit the music perfectly. These vocals give the whole thing that uniqueness that a lot of new blood lacks. I just can’t help but love the stubbornness these guys have, as it reminds me of Mastodon en Keelhaul, only a little less explosive. And that is where the prog element rears its ugly head.

Switch Opens is an album full of beautiful progressive passages that would also fit bands like Voi Vod and Opeth, but also wouldn’t go amiss with Porcupine Tree and Prong. And of course the two bands I mentioned earlier. I can understand if you are now completely lost as to classifying Switch Opens, but I just can’t think of any other names that pop up.

In fact, I think I shouldn’t mention anyone at all, as this is more than good enough to stand up on its own accord. That is, if you love music that gets you brain working. If you do appreciate that a band doesn’t serve you a readymade meal or finely sliced bread. If you are one who can enjoy a musical exploration trip. If you are, you will find me at your side.

- Wim van Grunsven

Fury Rocks